I am a sucker for salads.
I enjoy them by the mixing bowl.
One of my favorite things about the fall and winter is the ability to add warm vegetables to my salads. It adds a texture and depth to my salad that doesn’t compare to raw salads.
This salad is one that I enjoy frequently during the colder months.
I’ve even been known to serve it during breakfast because the sweet potatoes and raisins mixed in with the rest of the vegetables and the tangy tahini dressing creates a sweet and savory salad. Which is perfect for breakfast/brunch.
Power up your salads with this recipe.
Whether you make it according to the recipe or you use it as inspiration for your own autumn and winter salads, I hope you thoroughly enjoy it as much as I did/do.
Though not mentioned in the recipe – I am a firm believer that you should always massage your kale with extra virgin olive oil. Why? In my opinion, it makes for a softer and more enjoyable bite of kale. So show your kale some love and massage it with some oil.
Autumn Sweet Potato Salad
- 2 crowns broccoli
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 bunches curly kale
- 1/4 head purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1-2 tsp italian spice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Chop broccoli crown into bite sized florets
- Add broccoli florets into a small lined baking dish
- Dice sweet potatoes into small cubes
- Add cubed sweet potato to a small lined baking dish
- Coat the sweet potatoes and the broccoli in avocado oil and place both baking dishes in the oven and cook until al dente
- While the brocoli and sweet potatoes are baking, finely chop the purple cabbage and remove the kale leaves from the stem
- Prepare the dressing by combining the lemon juice, italian spice, salt, pepper, and tahini in a bowl and mixing until creamy and "fluffy".
- Once the brocoli and sweet potatoes are al dente, remove them from the oven
- In a large bowl combine the finely chopped cabbage, de-stemmed kale leaves, raisins, broccoli, and sweet potatoes
- Decide whether you want to serve the dressing on the side of if you want to mix it in - if you want to mix in - be sure to do it right before enjoying!