4 Ingredient Falafel
I always think of falafel as a delicacy, a delicious plant protein alternative that I’d never be able to master. Until I was craving it the other day and decided I should give it a try
Falafel is a flavorful Mediterranean dish that is typically made with chickpeas. This falafel recipe, however, puts a spin on traditional recipes by using soaked sunflower seeds instead of chickpeas. On top of that, this recipe features fermented beet kraut from Cleveland Kraut.
Because this recipe is raw and uses raw unpasteurized fermented kraut, it provides all of the amazing health benefits of fermented foods.
Health benefits such as:
- Boosted Immunity
- Increased nutrient bioavailability
- Improved gut health
- Easier digestion
Falafel is often served with hummus or tahini dressing of some sort. You can easily mix a tahini dressing together by combining 1 part tahini to 1 part lemon juice (if you want a runnier dressing, try 1 part tahini to 2-3 parts lemon juice).
My favorite way to enjoy falafel is by using them to top my buddha bowls (as pictured) but they also make for a perfect snack!
Comment below your favorite way to eat kraut or falafel! Don’t forget to rate this recipe if you decide to try it!
Disclaimer: this post is not sponsored though I did receive free samples with no stipulations attached.
Raw Probiotic Beet Falafel
- 1 + 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1/4 heaping cup beet kraut I used Cleveland Kraut, feel free to use any kraut of your choosing
- 1 tbsp tahini
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- In a bowl soak 1 cup sunflower seeds for 15 minutes
- While the sunflower seeds are soaking, wash and destem the parsley. Then roughly chop it
- After sunflower seeds have soaked, drain and place in a food processor
- Process sunflower seeds on high until a rough paste forms
- Once a rough paste forms, add in kraut, parsley, and tahini until dough forms If dough is too wet add in more sunflower seeds
- Once done, mix in salt and pepper to taste (if needed)
- Roll falafel dough into balls/patties and store in fridge to sit for at least 30 minutes before enjoying!