Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce recipe
This nightshade-free Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce Recipe is also gluten-free and vegan. Meaning it’s good for mixed company (though if your friends are gluten-free, make sure you’re serving gluten-free pasta along with it).
Why Nightshade-Free PAsta Sauces?
What’s the big deal about this Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce Recipe being nightshade free? Nightshade-free recipes are beneficial to those who are sensitive or trying to figure out if they are sensitive to nightshades. Some people with celiac disease may find living nightshade-free and gluten-free can help with lingering symptoms.
To figure out if you need to avoid nightshades, talk to your dietitian about an elimination diet to help you identify your trigger foods. (Need a dietitian, I help people with this 1:1 all the time! I’d be happy to help!)
About The Pasta Sauce Ingredients
This recipe calls for butternut squash, coconut milk, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. That’s right, it only calls for 5-ingredients but those 5-ingredients pack a ton a flavor!
If you don’t have any butternut squash to use in this pasta sauce recipe, you can substitute it for other squash. And, if you’re feeling more flavor than the salt, pepper, and garlic, feel free to add in any spice. This recipe is fairly easy to adapt to any of your cravings.
How to use this Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
Don’t let this easy 5-ingredient nightshade free butternut squash pasta sauce recipe fool you, it is extremely versatile. While it’s the true star of any pasta dish, it can be used in many other ways, such as:
- casserole dishes
- soup bases
- curry bases
- grain bowl sauces
Lastly, this butternut squash pasta sauce recipe is sweet yet savory and has room for customization to your hearts intent. However, trust me, this nightshade free pasta sauce recipe is flavorful enough as written.
Looking for more nightshade free recipes? Try out my Nightshade-Free Curry Soup!
5-Ingredient Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 medium butternut squash (a little bit bigger than an American Football)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt (or salt to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees
- Slice your butternut squash in half (long ways) and place on a parchment paper lined pan
- Coat the faces of the butternut squash (the flesh parts) with coconut oil
- Roast the butternut squash face up until soft (takes 45-60 minutes)
- Once your butternut squash is soft, remove from heat, take out the seeds, and flip over on the pan
- Let the flipped butternut squash to cool for 5-10 minutes (otherwise it will be to hot to work with)
- Once your butternut squash has cooled enough that you can work with it, peel of the skins (the should just pull right off)
- After removing the skins, place the roasted butternut squash in a blender with the spices and coconut milk (I used this coconut milk, it can be found at whole foods)
- Blend the Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce ingredients until smooth and well-combined
- Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 7 days
- When ready to use, just heat up on the stove top and mix in with cooked pasta (bonus if you add in some veggies like broccoli or cauliflower!)