Sheet Pan Chicken and Vegetables with Butter and Parmesan
This sheet pan chicken and vegetables recipe makes for the best dinner. Why? Because I just throw everything onto a pan and call it day. That’s a win in my book.
Can you Cook Chicken and Vegetables Together?
It’s totally safe to cook chicken and vegetables together like you do in this sheet pan chicken and vegetables recipe. Just make sure the chicken and vegetables are cooked to the proper internal temperature (165F). This will ensure any bacteria from the chicken has been cooked off and can no longer contaminate the food on the sheet pan.
Are Sheet Pan Dinners Safe?
Sheet pan dinners are no dangerous than any other meal you might prepare. As long as you take general food safety precautions, you sheet pan dinner will be safe.
Generally food safe precautions include:
- Washing any raw produce used to remove bacteria that may be present
- Cut the vegetables before the raw chicken (or use separate cutting boards)
- Cook the chicken and vegetables to the right temperature (165F).
- Don’t let the food sit out for too long. As soon as your done serving, begin the cooling process to prevent pathogens from growing in the leftovers.
The Key to Amazing Sheet Pan Dinners
The key to amazing sheet pan dinners is to know the ingredients your cooking with and add them to the sheet pan at the appropriate time. That and be sure to be generous with cooking fats and seasonings.
For example, in this recipe we know we have potatoes, carrots, broccoli, and chicken. Potatoes take much longer to fully cook than broccoli, carrots, and chicken and thus, we start with baking the potatoes first.
You can apply this process to any other sheet pan meal as well. However, I’ll also say, on my most burnt out days, I throw everything on the pan at once and call it a day and no one complained… do with that what you will.
Sheet Pan Chicken and Vegetables
- 3 big chicken breasts
- 3 medium potatoes
- 5 cups broccoli and sliced carrots (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp dried onion flakes
- salt/pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Cut potatoes in bite size pieces
- Spray/spread cooking oil on sheet pan (or lay down a layer or foil/parchment paper so nothing sticks) and spread potatoes out evenly and cook for 10 minutes or until soft
- While the potatoes are cooking, place butter into a medium size microwave safe bowl and microwave about 1 minute or until melted.
- Mix water, salt, pepper, garlic and onion with the butter and put it to the side until ready to use
- Cut the chicken in to cubes
- Take potatoes out of the oven and place the diced chicken, broccoli and carrots on to the sheet pan.
- Pour butter mixture evenly throughout the sheet pan. Grab tongs or use your hands to make sure everything is coated.
- Place the sheet pan into the oven at 400F for about 20 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked on the inside
- Once out of the oven sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and serve.