Avocado Egg Salad
This Avocado Egg Salad recipe is the perfect mayo-free egg salad option. It’s creamy, flavorful, and everything you want in an egg salad with no mayo.
This is a gluten-free and dairy-free egg salad recipe made with all fresh ingredients. You might even call it a fresh avocado and egg salad recipe.
Regardless if you like avocado and you like hardboiled eggs, then you’re going to like this avocado and egg salad recipe.
Avocado Egg Salad Recipe
Egg salad is the perfect light and tasty summer dish. It’s full of protein, fat, and when you put it on a slice of gluten-free bread, it adds a nice balance of carbs.
Basically, all the macros are present and it makes for a filling dish.
But what about the people who don’t like mayo? That’s where this Egg Salad with Avocado recipe comes in. It’s everything you love about egg salad without the mayo.
This is a Dairy-Free Egg Salad Recipe
This is a dairy-free egg salad recipe. Believe it or not, most egg salad recipes are dairy-free.
Though some recipes occasionally call for cheese, yogurt and more. Rest assured, this recipe does not. This is in fact, a dairy-free egg salad.
Avocado and Egg Salad, No Mayo
Hold the mayo! This is a mayo-free egg salad recipe. It substitutes buttery ripe avocados for the rich and creamy mayo you’re used to seeing in egg salad recipes.
Fasano Diet Friendly Recipe
This recipe is made with all fresh ingredients (aside from the salt) making it perfect for those following a non-responsive celiac diet. So if you need to follow the Fasano diet, this egg salad is perfect for you!
About the Avocado Egg Salad Ingredients
This is a no-may egg salad recipe featuring homemade hard-boiled eggs, pickled onions, celery, lemon juice salt, and avocado. All of these ingredients work together to make a fresh and delicious dish!
The star of the show in this dairy-free egg salad recipe is the hard-boiled eggs. Thus, it’s important you boil your eggs perfectly.
Don’t stress, here’s a guide to easy and perfect hard-boiled eggs every time.
This recipe calls for pickled red onions, you could substitute regular homemade pickles, or pickled jalepenos if you’d like. However the pickled red onions really add a nice flavor that compliments the egg and avocado well.
We have lots of soft ingredients in this recipe. From the hard-boiled eggs, to pickled onions, to the avocado… the celery really adds a much needed crunch. The trick to enjoying the celery in this is to cut it into really small bites. That way the egg salad still spreads well and isn’t too chunky and crunchy.
Perhaps the most important part of this recipe is the avocado. For what is an Avocado Egg Salad with out the avocado? Am I right?
The key to perfecting this recipe is to use ripe avocados. According to Love One Today’s Avocado Buying Guide, you want to pick one that is somewhat soft when applying firm yet gentle pressure to it in the palm of your hand. If it’s mushy, it’s too ripe, and if it’s hard as a rock, it’s underripe.
Ways to Enjoy This Recipe
So now that we know more about the recipe, how should we enjoy this egg salad?
- Mix in Dijon Mustard – Add in an extra twist by mixing in some dijon mustard! Please note this will make this recipe no longer Fasano diet friendly.
- Make an Egg Salad Avocado Toast – Avocado toast is all the rage these days. Upgrade it by making it an Egg Salad Avocado Toast by spreading this egg salad on your next piece of gluten-free toasted bread!
- Serve on a Bed of Fresh Lettuce – Stay true to the salad nature of egg-salad by serving it on a bed of your favorite fresh lettuce.
- Eat with Crackers – Get your favorite gluten-free crackers and dip them or top them with this egg salad. Garnish with fresh cilantro or pickled onions, YUM!
Ready to eat? Let’s dive into the recipe.
Avocado Egg Salad - Gluten-free and Dairy-free
- 8 large hard-boiled eggs
- 1 small avocado
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, fresh
- 2 tbsp pickled red onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Take hard-boiled eggs out of the shell
- Roughly chop the eggs and add them to a large bowl
- In a separate bowl rough mash the avocado.
- Add avocado, dill, lemon juice, celery, pickled red onions, and salt to the bowl.
- Mix until well combined
- Add more salt and lemon to taste and enjoy!