Chia Seed Pudding with Tahini Caramel
This Chia Seed Pudding with Tahini Caramel recipe is quick, easy, and delicious. It’s perfect as a healthy breakfast, snack, or dessert. This recipe closely resembles my Vegan Caramel Chia Pod recipe but with slight variations.
What is Chia Seed Pudding?
When you combine chia seeds with liquid they absorb the liquid and swell up, forming what seems to be a gelatinous-like liquid.
Typically chia seed pudding is made roughly in a ratio of 1:6 of chia seeds and water. This ratio makes a very thick chia seed pudding that most people prefer.
This recipe, however, uses a 1:3 ratio of chia seeds (1/3 cup of chia seeds to 1 cup of liquid) which creates a super thick chia seed pudding.
That being said, chia seeds are packed full of fiber (among other nutrients) so a ratio of 1:3 or 1:6 might be too intense for someone. This is because a sudden increase in fiber intake can overwhelm the body in a way.
Additionally, some people prefer their chia pudding less thick. In the case of lower fiber tolerance or a preference for less thick pudding, a ratio of 1:9 of chia seeds and water is preferred.
Be sure to assess your fiber tolerance before determining which ratio of chia seeds to liquid is best for you. Also, remember that if you are increasing your fiber intake, you need to increase your water intake.
Chia seed pudding ratio chart:
|1:6 Ratio Chia Pudding (for those who have a higher fiber tolerance or prefer thicker chia seed pudding)||2 cups of liquid||1/3 cup chia seeds|
|1:9 Ratio Chia Pudding (for those who have a lower fiber tolerance or prefer thinner chia seed pudding)||3 cups of liquid||1/3 cup chia seeds|
The Health Benefits of Chia Seeds:
- Chia seeds are considered heart-healthy because of their soluble fiber and healthy fat content.
- They are one of the few sources of complete plant-based proteins, meaning they have all of the essential amino acids in them.
- Chia seeds are rich in calcium, magnesium, and phosphorous.
With all of that in mind, let’s dive into this chia seed pudding with tahini caramel recipe!
Chia seed pudding with tahini caramel
Chia Seed Pudding Base
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup nut milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Tahini Caramel Layer
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- In a container of choice, add in the milk and vanilla extract
- Now add in the chia seeds (doing this in this order will help prevent clumps from forming at the bottom of the container)
- Place a lid on the container and let sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours (trying to shake it halfway through) but it's better if you can let it sit for an entire day (especially if you're using a different ratio of chia seeds to milk)
- Once your chia seed pudding is thick and creamy, combine the tahini and maple syrup in a separate bowl.
- Divide the chia seed pudding and tahini caramel (tahini and maple syrup) equally between two containers and enjoy!
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.