I don’t often crave cookies but when I do I usually want them to involve chocolate chips. Insert this Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Buckwheat Cookies with White Chocolate Chips recipe.
Let’s Talk Buckwheat
Is Buckwheat gluten-free? Yes! Actually, buckwheat is not only gluten-free but it’s also grain-free because it’s considered to be a seed.
In all honesty, for the first few years of diagnosis, I thought that buckwheat wasn’t gluten-free. I mean, “wheat” is in the name for goodness sake! Boy was I wrong. Turns out that I was missing out on this delicious nutty groat for years.
Not only that but buckwheat has some impressive nutritional features:
- It’s a complete plant-based protein (meaning it has all of the essential amino acids – a very rare feature of plant-based protein)
- Buckwheat has trace minerals like copper, zinc, and manganese.
- It’s packed with soluble fiber – the heart-healthy kind
Why I Like Buckwheat Flour for Gluten-Free Baking
I personally think a lot of gluten-free baked goods are too sweet and lack flavor. If you bake with the right kind of buckwheat flour I think that it adds a nice nutty flavor to your recipe. It helps build more depth to the flavor of your baked goods.
How to bake with Buckwheat Flour
I personally substitute 1/4 to 1/2 of a recipe’s gluten-free flour requirements with buckwheat flour. For example, if a recipe calls for 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour, I’ll do 1/2 cup buckwheat flour and 1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour.
These Double Chocolate Buckwheat Cookies are different in that the recipe uses all buckwheat flour. I did this in order to keep this recipe grain-free but you can substitute 1/2 of the buckwheat flour for gluten-free all-purpose flour if you’d like.
Using all buckwheat flour makes these cookies a little less soft than if you were to cut the flour with another kind but I personally like that. That being said, when you’re making the dough, the dough should not be crumbly. If it is, add some water until it’s the right consistency.
If you want to learn more about baking with buckwheat flour, check out this post by The Spruce Eats!
Chocolate Buckwheat Cookies with White Chocolate Chips
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup agave syrup
- 2 eggs
- Pre-heat often to 375F and line a baking tray with parchment paper
- In a bowl combine dry ingredients (buckwheat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt)
- In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients (softened butter, agave, and eggs)
- Slowly fold in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until dough is formed
- Roll dough into 2-3 tbsp sized balls and place them on the baking tray
- Flatted the cookie dough balls out and place the baking tray of cookies in the oven to bake for about 14 minutes
- Remove the cookies from the oven and enjoy once cool
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.