Garlic Pinto Bean Toast
This garlic pinto bean toast is a plant-based and calcium rich alternative to your avocado or simple buttered toast. It’s packed full of flavor with a balance of crispy and soft textures that are sure to rock your world!
Shout-out to my friend Autumn from @doseoftumtum for the inspiration for this recipe. I shared with her over coffee that I was trying to think of ways to creatively use beans at breakfast and she mentioned she enjoyed putting beans on toast during her time in England! So I tried it and MAN is it good.
The beans on this toast add flavor, creaminess, and a plant-source of calcium and iron. Both calcium and iron are nutrients of concern when it comes to celiac disease so I thought it fitting to share this recipe with you!
- 4 slices gluten-free and vegan bread
- 1 can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Toast your bread on a tray in the oven until crispy or in a dedicated gluten-free toaster
- While your bread is toasting, mash together the pinto beans, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- Once your gluten-free bread is toasted spread the mashed bean mixture on top and garnish with fresh cilantro