Gluten-Free Ground Beef Recipes
Looking for gluten-free ground beef recipes to use up that ground beef that’s been sitting in your fridge? Well, look no further: here are 10 gluten-free recipes with ground beef in them!
(This blog post was drafted by Sierra King and edited by Tayler Silfverduk)
Table of Contents
Is Ground Beef Gluten-free?
The results are in: Ground Beef is gluten-free. All plain and fresh-cut meat has no gluten in them. However, there is always a risk for cross-contact or for gluten to be added in.
So, be sure to read the food label of your ground beef for any gluten ingredients. And if you’re dining out and ordering something with ground beef, ask restaurant staff how they prepare their food and emphasize that your food must be separated from anything that can or does contain gluten. (Check out this post for more on how to dine out with celiac)
Ground Beef on a Gluten-free Diet
Ground beef can be a great addition to a gluten-free diet as it can be an affordable source of iron. Because a gluten-free diet is often low in foods typically enriched in iron and if you have celiac, iron absorption can be impaired, ground beef is a great protein option for people eating gluten-free.
Check out this post for more gluten-free iron rich foods.
The Different Types of Ground Beef
The different types of ground beef rely on their fat content. Depending on your preferences and needs will dictate what kind of ground beef you will need. Below are the 4 different types of ground beef and their pros and cons:
- 70% lean/30% fat ground beef has a higher percentage of fat content which adds more flavor compared to leaner types. It is the most affordable but the texture can be a bit mushy which may be a deal breaker if you’re picky about texture.
- 80% lean/20% fat ground beef comes from the shoulder of the cow and is less fatty. However, even though there it’s leaner, it still has great flavor. It is used to make great burgers because of its richness and tenderness.
- 85% lean/15% fat ground beef is also known as extra lean and is located in the back half of the cow. With its low content of fat it loses its beefy flavor. This can be a good choice when a person doesn’t like the beef flavor.
- 90% lean/10% fat ground beef is also extra lean and is from cuts of meat located in the middle of the cow. Due to its low fat content it can lead to the meat tasting dryer. It is great for sauce but not the greatest meat for burgers.
Of note: 90% and 85% lean ground beef types can be on the pricier side. So if you’re trying to manage a tight gluten-free food budget, you may want to consider less lean options.
10 Gluten-Free Ground Beef Recipes
- Beef Taco Skillet – an easy one pan meal that can be easily adapted to what ever you have without sacrificing flavor. A must-have recipe for any busy families recipe arsenal.
- Korean Ground Beef Rice Bowls – Easy and quick meal that can be made in a skillet. This dish has a hint of heat with sweetness. Make sure to use gluten-free soy sauce or tamari to keep it a gluten-free ground beef recipe.
- Italian Pepper Mini Meat Loaves – Meatloaf may not have a fan club in your family’s life. But this meatloaf has a mix of ground beef and sweet Italian sausage that will add great taste and a unique flavor to this dish, with the added benefit of having cheese smothered on top.
- French Fries Special Sauce – Cheeseburgers are great but can take time to make. Try this crockpot recipe to save time in the kitchen and get to the things you really need to do.
- Meat Shell Potato Pie – Meat pie or reverse shepherd’s pie? Whichever one you choose to call it, make sure you replace the bread crumbs with gluten free bread crumbs.
- Ground Beef Pancakes – A savory twist to a sweet dish. These are great for on-the-go breakfasts or breakfast for dinner.
- Skillet Tater Tot Casserole – This is a very comfort-food casserole. If it is raining or just really cold, this is a dish that will warm you up and satisfy you.
- Meat Crust Pizza – This pizza is definitely gluten free. Having a meat crust, there is more room for all the other toppings that you and your family love. Check out my easier version in this very old Instagram post of mine.
- Gluten-free Empanadas – looking for flaky delicious pockets of dough with a savory ground beef filling? I know… I have you drooling, and I promise this recipe will not fail you.
- Beef Fudge – Are you an adventurous foodie? This gluten-free beef recipe is for you! Any meal is best when there is a dessert at the end of it. Do you dare try beef fudge? Let me know in the comments if you do.