Beef Taco Skillet (GF)
This beef taco skillet is easy to make and full of flavor. It requires one pan which means it’s perfect for an easy clean-up too! Not to mention, it’s got protein, it’s got fat, and it’s got carbs, and it’s got vegetables – that’s right it has it all!
Ingredients for Beef Taco Skillet
The ground beef in this Beef Taco recipe can be easily substituted for ground turkey. Have shredded chicken already cooked? Feel free to use that instead and just cook the peppers and onions before adding it in!
The zucchini adds a nice sweet flavor to this savory dish but if you’re not fan feel free to omit.
The canned tomatoes, corn, and beans are all versatile. Feel free to substitute with what you have on hand. I’ve had success with using any bean and even tomato sauce.
If you don’t have beef broth, feel free to omit it. It adds flavor but this dish can carry it’s own without it if need be.
Lastly, if you’re not a fan of cheese or if you’re dairy-free, feel free to omit the cheese. Again, this dish has so much flavor, you’ll hardly miss it.
How to enjoy Beef Taco Skillet
This is the Beef Taco Skillet recipe is the perfect recipe to meal-prep. And if setting aside time once a week to prepare meals isn’t your jam, just make it for dinner one night and use the leftovers for lunch or dinner later on in the week.
You can even switch things up and serve the leftovers on corn tortillas for easy tacos. Alternatively, you can reheat it on top of corn chips in the oven for a fun and easy family nacho night (the microwave works well for this too).
Additionally, you can change around the ingredients to give the taco skillet a different feel. For example, instead of using canned corn, I used canned peas in the photos above.
Looking for more ground beef recipes? Check out this post on 10 gluten-free ground beef recipes that you have to try.
The recipe below was developed by Dietetic Intern Sierra King!
Beef Taco Skillet
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 white onion (chopped)
- 3 bell peppers (chopped)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 zucchini (quartered and sliced)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (10oz can)
- 1 can corn (~11 oz can, drained)
- 1 can beans of choice (15oz can, drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups beef broth (may need more if you prefer softer rice)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Cook the onion, bell peppers and beef in a large skillet over medium heat until beef is no longer pink.
- Drain any fat
- Add chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, diced tomatoes, corn, beans, rice and beef broth.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini and simmer, covered for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add lime juice and sprinkle the shredded cheese over the skillet.
- Cover with lid and cook over low heat for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and serve with toppings on the side.
- Sour cream
- Black olives sliced
- Salsa or Pico de Gallo
- Cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- Fresh cilantro minced
- Cheese, shredded