Rice Porridge Recipe: Gluten-free, Dairy-free
This Rice Porridge Recipe is a great option for those living gluten-free who can’t tolerate oats. As I discuss in my post on if oats are celiac-safe, some people with celiac can’t tolerate oats. This doesn’t mean however, they have to give up hot cereal breakfasts.
That’s where this cozy and filling Rice Porridge Recipe comes in!
This Rice Porridge Recipe
Going back to my Swedish roots, this Rice Porridge recipe is inspired by a Swedish dish called risgrynsgröt. Though traditionally a holiday dish, I realized it’d make for a perfect breakfast option for my gluten-free friends.
This Rice Porridge Recipe is very flexible, make adaptations as needed. I will be making notes throughout the recipe on modifications for how to make this Rice Porridge Fasano Diet-Friendly, fiber-rich, protein-packed, and more.
How to Make Rice Porridge
You can make Rice Porridge in a pot on the stove, a rice cooker, or a pressure cooker. The directions for this Rice Porridge Recipe are for in a pot over the stove. Below are adaptations to prepare it in a rice cooker or Instant Pot.
Make it in an Instant Pot
If you want to make Rice Porridge in an Instant Pot or pressure cooker, add the liquid, spices, and rice into the pot of your pressure cooker. Select the “Saute” function.
Let it come to a boil for a few minutes before turning off the “Saute” function and place the lid on top. Now select the manual option and cook the dish on low for 16 minutes.
Once done cooking, let the pressure release for 10 minutes before opening and serving.
Make it in a Rice Cooker
To cook the Rice Porridge in the rice cooker, add the liquid and rice to the rice cooker pot. Mix in desired spices and do not cover. Cook on high for around 45 minutes (stirring occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom) until thickened to your liking.
I totally got away with doing this and only stirring it twice. I make no promises for you but do with that information what you will.
You may adjust the liquid to rice ratio depending on your thickness preferences. Once cooked, sweeten with your desired sweetener. Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy.
Make a Brown Rice Porridge
You can substitute short-grain brown rice for the white rice options in this recipe to make this a Brown Rice Porridge recipe. This is a good option if you’re looking to increase whole grains in your diet. Or if you have a preference for the nuttiness and texture of brown rice.
While it won’t produce the same thing as making it yourself, something also to note is that Bob’s Red Mill does make Brown Rice Porridge mix. Technically it’s Brown Rice Hot Cereal, but still, a convenient option if you want it.
Make it Rice Pudding
I scoured the internet to try to figure out what the difference between rice pudding and rice porridge was and I could find very little on it. Through my reading, the key difference depends on when you serve it. If serving it as dessert, it’s rice pudding. When serving it at breakfast, it’s rice porridge.
Essentially, what makes it a rice pudding or a rice porridge depends on if you serve it in the morning or after dinner. Go figure.
Rice Porridge Recipe Ingredients
So we know about the rice porridge recipe but what about the ingredients? What do they do and how important are they?
Using short-grain rice will give it more of a hot cereal creamy texture. Many recipes in fact, specifically call for short-grain glutinous rice.
Despite the name, glutinous rice does not have gluten. The term glutinous just means sticky rice varieties. In other words, it’s rice that has higher amounts of starch. The starch is what helps give the rice porridge recipe that hot cereal texture we all know and love.
Water is important for any rice dish, in this case, it helps add liquid to soften and cook the rice. For a more decadent dish, you may use all milk. For a more iron-rich breakfast option, you could use iron-infused water.
You can do this by boiling some water with a lucky iron fish and then cooking your rice cereal with it. Making this a great iron-rich breakfast option. An awesome thing, especially if you are gluten-free for celiac and are struggling with iron deficiency anemia.
You could use this technique to make any hot cereal iron-rich. Learn more about iron-rich gluten-free foods in this post.
Milk of Choice
Using milk in this recipe adds creaminess and flavor, no matter what kind of milk you use. Make this Rice Porridge Recipe vegan/dairy-free by using plant-based milk. Alternatively, if you can enjoy dairy safely, using real milk can add extra richness to the dish.
Add Spices, Sweetener, Fat to Taste
Make your Rice Porridge delicious with spices, sweeteners, and fat. My favorite add-ins to flavor my hot rice cereal? Cinnamon, sugar, and butter.
Other yummy spices to mix in include nutmeg, ginger, and cardamom. Additionally, sweeten your rice porridge with dates, bananas, maple syrup, honey, sugar, and more.
Lastly, mix in fat not only to boost flavor but to keep you full. Consider using coconut oil, butter, olive oil, and more.
Rice Porridge Flavor Ideas
- Traditional Risgrynsgröt: Traditional Risgrynsgröt, or Traditional Swedish Rice Porridge is made with butter, whole milk, cinnamon sugar, and a single blanched almond. The tradition goes: you mix in a single blanched almond into the rice porridge and serve it up. Whoever ends up with the almond in their bowl is likely to be married soon!
- Apple Pie Hot Rice Cereal: When serving your hot rice cereal, top it with diced apple, raisins, and cinnamon. Alternatively, add in diced apples halfway through cooking to cook them a little bit. Then top with cinnamon and raisins.
- Peaches and Cream Porridge: When serving your rice porridge, mix in some fresh or canned peaches into it for a peachy breakfast. You might even consider stirring in some organic peach syrup (affiliate link).
- Double Chocolate Rice Porridge: When starting to cook your porridge, mix in 1-2tbsp of cocoa powder until well combined. Once ready to serve, top with chocolate chips of choice. Make it a triple chocolate rice porridge by topping it with some organic chocolate syrup (affiliate link).
- Pumpkin Pie Hot Rice Cereal: Make this hot rice cereal recipe fall-friendly by mix in pumpkin spice mix into the rice, milk, and water mixture before cooking. When it’s just about to be done, stir in some pumpkin puree and enjoy!
- Make this Rice Porridge Fasano Diet Friendly: Make your own creamy nut butter, blend it into a “nut milk” and cook the rice with it. Top with your favorite fresh fruit, honey, and enjoy!
Rice Porridge Recipe
- 1 cup short-grain rice
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp fat of choice
- 4 1/2 cup milk of choice
- spice to taste
- sweeten to taste
- Rinse your short-grain rice well
- In a saucepan, bring water and fat to a fast boil on high heat
- Add in rice and start stirring continuously as you reduce heat to low
- Once the rice starts simmering, cover it and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes until thick
- Once thick, add in your milk of choice and heat until hot but not boiling.
- Cover again and reduce heat to VERY low until all the milk has been absorbed (this can take anywhere from 30-45 minutes).
- Remove from heat and then add in sweetener, fat, fruit, etc. to taste.