Simple Gluten Free Granola
Simple Gluten-Free Granola Recipe
I have celiac disease (are you sick of me announcing this yet?) and that means a lot of things but most importantly it means I make a lot of things from scratch.
So let’s talk about the elephant in the room, are oats really safe for people with celiac disease?
It depends on your sensitivity and what kinds of oats you buy. The problem with oats is that while yes, they are naturally gluten-free, they are often grown in the same soil and processed on the same equipment as wheat. This can cause cross-contamination and perhaps a wheat kernel to end up in your huge container of store brand oats.
For oats to be certified gluten-free they just have to be tested by parts per million (ppm). If the oats meet the requirements, they are certified gluten-free, but that does not mean they are entirely gluten-free.
If you want to be extra safe with your oats, you can buy what is called Purity Protocol Oats. Now, these oats are expensive but they are grown on land that has never grown wheat and processed on equipment that does not process gluten-containing ingredients. They are the gold standard for gluten-free folk.
So basically, I play it extremely safe when I can and thus, I like to make my own gluten-free foods to ensure they meet my gluten-free standards. Plus, self-prepared meals are always better than the pre-packaged and processed counterparts. I really think there is something to making things with love for other people and or for yourself.
There is a reason why self-care and self-compassion are going viral on social media. So take care of yourself and make yourself this granola. This Simple Gluten-Free Granola recipe is promised to knock your granola loving socks off! It’s packed full of plant-based proteins and complex carbohydrates that will provide you with a hearty and filling meal or snack.
Learn more about the powerful and underestimated benefits of eating oats here!
Simple Gluten Free Granola
- 2 cups oats ((gluten free))
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup Chia Seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup coconut oil ((melted))
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
- Combine together all of the dry ingredients into 1 large mixing bowl and mix well
- Add in the melted coconut oil and honey to the bowl and mix well. (Give yourself permission to use your hands as it will help things go way faster!)
- Spread the well-mixed mixture evenly accross a parchment paper lined baking tray
- Baked the mixture at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 18-20 minutes (making sure to stir it half-way through)
- When edges are golden brown, remove from oven and allow to cool completely (this will allow granola chunks to form)
- After the granola has cooled completely, transfer it to an air-tight container and store it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks
Warning: this Simple Gluten-Free Granola recipe is so delicious that portioning it out is recommended (seriously, this stuff didn’t last more than 3 days the first time I made it). Granola is some nutrient and calorie dense stuff, so make sure you’re not having more than a serving!
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.